The Founding of Owen County
Owen County was formed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky by Acts of 1818-1819 Chapter 287 page 702 and approved February 6, 1819. It was formed from the counties of Franklin Scott Gallatin and Pendleton. Hesler (then known as Heslerville) was the first county seat. This became effective April 1, 1819. On November 16, 1820, the legislature passed another act which restored to Franklin County part or all of what was taken from it under the 1819 act. To compensate for this, the legislature took some more land from Gallatin County and gave it to Owen by act dated December 26, 1820. Therefore, Hesler was no longer in the center of the county. Accordingly, on January 15, 1822, the county court ordered that the seat of justice be removed to land owned by Andrew Parker, James Hess, and William H. Forsee. The town Owenton was developed. Court was held at the new county seat on February 11, 1822.
Population under 18 years old, 2008 estimate
Population 65 years old and older, 2008 estimate